Loon Summer by Barbara Santucci
Print: Eerdmans Books for Young Readers
Discussion Guide for
[page 1] -- [page 2]
Adobe Acrobat Reader free.
- Parental love
- Parent - child relationships
- After reading the book discuss how the story relates to the experience of the readers/listeners. Download Eerdmans Books for Young Readers Discussion Guide for Loon Summer. [download page 1] -- [download page 2]
- The divorce of parents or two people that love a child can fill the child with questions and concern. Those children who are themselves in a two-parent family may want to understand what their classmates or friends are experiencing. An excellent informational book on the topic is Dinosaurs Divorce by Marc Brown and Laura Krasny Brown.
- Make a collective list of the types of families a child might be living in: grandparent and child, a mom and child, a dad and child, two moms, two dads, an uncle or aunt with a child, and so forth.
- Read one or more of the books listed in the "Booklist" below and compare and contrast the experience of Rainie and the main character in the specific book listed below.
Dear Mr. Henshaw by Beverly Cleary
A novel about a young boy who develops a relationship with a famous author when what he really wants is a relationship with his father.
How Tia Lola Came to Stay by Julia Alvarez
A boy's new life after his parents' divorce.